All Facilities work at Berkeley Lab is required to undergo a process that includes plan review, permitting, and inspection. Consulting with Fire & Life Safety at the onset of any project affords more opportunity for creative and cost-effective solutions that promote a safe built environment that protects life, health, and property.
- The Environmental Services Group supports Berkeley Lab activities related to
- Air and Water Quality Management,
- Environmental Monitoring,
- Hazardous Materials Management, and
- Radiological Dose and Environmental Risk Assessment.
- Please consult the Berkeley Lab Electrical Safety Site to see if an Energized Electrical Work Permit (EEWP) or Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) permit is necessary when performing electrical work.
- The Lab's Facilities Division has instituted a rigorous Laboratory-wide program to improve the safety of employees and subcontractors who are digging, drilling, or excavating at the Lab. One of the program's key requirements is the designation of a single Responsible Individual (RI) for any penetration or excavation of any LBNL ground or surfaces. The RI is responsible for obtaining a Penetration Permit and overseeing the safety of the excavation or surface penetration.